Author(s): AD BONEY
This work is a history of Glasgow University's botanic (or physic) gardens from medieval times to their destruction in 1870 when the old university buildings were sold to a railway company. The author draws on the archives of the university and other institutions, and uses letters, draft notes, memoranda and college accounts to build up a picture of the history of the gardens. In 1577 James VI granted the university a new charter and the development of the gardens gathered pace until the mid-eighteenth century. The author examines their importance to the university both as an adornment and as a step in the institution of a professorship of medicine. The work also covers the history of a time when Glasgow was beginning to emerge as Scotland's most important city as a result of trade with America.
The origins of the gardens; the 17th century; the gardens and the medical faculty; John Marshall as overseer of the physic garden and teacher of botany; the gardens as a place of recreation; Alexander Adams as head gardener; William Hamilton and his contribution to botany; the period of decline; the new botanic garden and the collapse of the Royal Botanic Institution; conclusions. Appendix. Index.